Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Response to Mr. Cavellier's Comment

When the people of Sudan talk about "leaving famine to foreigners," they are talking about the leaders of America. If the people of America left the victims of hurricane Katrina to be "helped by foreigners" I would think of our country as being lazy because we have the resources to help the people in our country. I think that would also make the US more vulnerable because we would be in the hands of another country (especially for an even larger issue). I understand that the government or other citizens in Sudan may not be able to help their starving people, but the fact that they are not even trying to help or solve the problem infuriates me. The fact that the Sudanese government is taking our help for granted also makes me angry. However, I am happy that I live in a country that can afford to help other countries. I agree with you, that the US is good with helping others in our nation. I do not think we are naive for believing this either. The US is competent, and we know that we are. But if we were in severe trouble, we would have allies to come and help us. But if we ever do call for help, we will help the ally help us and not take their assistance for granted, like the Sudanese people are doing for the famine.
I think that the Sudanese do not help or care about the other people in their country the way the US does because Sudan has been so segregated for so many years that they do not feel the patriotic bond of belonging to the same country. Therefore, they are not willing to help one another to the extent that Americans do.

No comments: